Friday, June 13, 2008

Round 2 Recap

The alarm rang at 6:15 am, and although still a little tired, I was still excited to get to the course and try it again. I knew that if I could muster some good shots I could put up a good score. But today wasn't my day on the course. hopefully I can avoid the nickname "bogey", because I made enough of them this week. I struggled with a little bit of everything, driver, approach shots, and the speed of the greens (some seemed fast others seemed slower), but I have learned a lot this week and will take mostly positive things from this experience. 80-82, not what I had expected, but Tony and I had fun, most of the time. The course is too tough to get away with as many bad shots as I hit. I had a first today, I hit my first spectator, thankfully she was ok, I got her on one bounce on the knee (I did sign a glove for her). However, it was a good break (from a golf perspective, I'm sure she felt the same way too), I had a good lie, a clear shot and ultimately made par. Although, I missed the cut, I will try and come up with something blog worthy tomorrow (apparently there are people reading, and expectations are getting higher).

On another note, Scott Campbell wrote a great article about Tony that appeared in the San Mateo Times today, the URL is below. Please check it out, it is a great story and something that will definitely keep everything in perspective.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/ci_9568443

5 comments:

little italia said...

Hey Beaver,

Job well done!! We here we're all hoping for better but I know you June and Ward had a blast. I know you learned alot but if you would have just gone to the waffle house in Torrence last night who know what would have happen today. if you need it the putting green is all your's(but you have to put around the dog) Thanks for putting a face a tourny most of can't even dream of.

Gary and Marian

VelocityGirl said...

Hey Garrett....I am Tony's wife - The Tony from the USGA who picked you up from the airport! He was psyched when he bumped into you after the airport and you told him about your blog...so I thought I'd check it out...and wish you a great first U.S Open...one of many to come!

God Bless!
Jamie Utitus (Watching from New Jersey)

Unknown said...

Hi Garret,

Gary told me about you playing in the
open. I am excited for you. I am
currently in Charlotte, NC.
On Thursday night, a Scotish collegue and I went into a sport bar by the
University of NC for dinner. Not a second after we walked in, I spotted your name on the coverage along side another tv with the LA and
Celtics playing. That's great company!
Congrats on your first big event.

Joe Fenech (Marian's Cousin)

Mr. Fahrenbach said...

Hello,

I am not a relative nor friend but surely am a Illinois Alumnus and big fan of any illini golfer. Your blog is fun to read and gives an outsider a look between to ropes. I hope you continue blogging and good luck with future endeavors.
Illini 07'

Grandma M said...

Garrett,
I know others have said it, but Job Well Done! I'm so very proud of you. Your hard work has paid off and you made it to the USOpen. Keep up the good work.
Love you Garrett!!!!